Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thing 14 Technorati

Technorati has that unintuitive feel that I get from a lot of these popular internet culture sites that are popping up these days. Oh yeah, I can use it. It's easy for me, but man it looks bad. Maybe I'm spoiled by Apple, Google, and Nintendo, but the streamlined interface that I'm used to from them isn't in Technorati. The look of each blog hits you like billiard ball to the face. Nothing in particular grabs your attention. It's all just... there. It's jarring how the tags are listed in different sized fonts, or how there are a bunch of different colors for text that's just everywhere.

Wow, I just read what I wrote and it sounds like I hate Technorati. It's not bad, but it's messy. At least compared to the other three I mentioned, like Apple. In my experience, their user interface philosophy seems to go like this: grab the user's attention with something big and simple, then gently guide them to the fine detail. This is true to some degree in most OSX apps I've used and in their website design. Technorati is organzied, but it's also just all over the place. It's probably just the tags that really bug me the most.

Speaking of tags. They're a useful way to help others search for things one has published on the internet. However, oftentimes there are a jillion labels tagged to blogs or what-have-you and your search results are sometimes cluttered with wildly generalized lists. But tags are mostly useful.

No comments: